Monday, March 24, 2008

Cleaning supplies at Viliky Lubin

It was another overcast morning in Lviv, but the sun finally came out and warmed the ground enough to melt the snow that had fallen during the night.
I met with Olena my Ukrainian teacher and we did a lot of review from the lessons we had done last fall. She was pleased at what I remembered and I was surprised that I remembered all I did. I have gained a certain measure of confidence in speaking with people but my thinking isn't fast enough to have an actual conversation with anyone.
After my lessons we drove around gathering what cleaning supplies we needed to bring to Viliky Lubin, an orphanage/school that we visit regularly. When we finally got there to deliver everything, we were told that the children were not there. They were gone on holidays. Some of the kids there have some family though I am not sure what the arrangements are and if this is direct family or distant relatives. In any case there are some children who get taken out from time to time. We spoke with the director and we were given a list of medications they need. They told us that they have a child there who is epileptic and they cannot even buy the medication for him. Flora mentioned that we would like to have more contact with the children. There was a time when we were able to speak to all the kids together but the last several times we have been there, it has been impossible to speak with all the children. Our reason for going there in the first place is to speak to the kids about God so we hope to have more time with them.
Some mandatory repairs were done on the vehicle again. The roads in the city are pretty bad so it takes it's tole on the van. Ruslan was commenting this afternoon about this one certain government chain of gas stations. They are all closed, all across Ukraine. I'm not entirely sure why they have no gas but other companies are able to keep pumping their gas. However the price of the fuel is so high now in comparison with the salaries that we all wonder what will happen next. We saw one gas station with their diesel at 6 hryvny which makes it equivalent to $1.30 a liter Canadian.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) we will be visiting a school and I will take the opportunity to speak to the younger children. Maybe I'll try my Ukrainian on them. Kids are usually more forgiving than adults!

No comments: