Monday, May 3, 2010

Ukraine Spring Report #17

Report #17 for Monday May 3 2010

I woke early to a cloudy day but still a pleasant temperature. I boiled two eggs but didn’t have a timer and they ran out onto my plate. I put the second one back into the pan and scrambled it.

I knew we were not going anywhere first thing this morning, so set out to listen to some messages on cd and read some. I was really challenged by the two preachers I listened to, and felt the time spent very profitable.

I called Vadym about noon and found he had worked on the car until about 4am, so was just getting going. I ate lunch and he arrived. While he was here, Max Mclean called me on Skype and we all talked and could see each other. It was the first time Max and Vadym had met since 2004.

We then headed out to change some Canadian money and load our phones again. This is very convenient. We just stopped at a machine fastened to a light pole, selected a provider, punched in our phone # and put 50 R in the slot. Voila! The money goes into your phone, faster than it took me to type this.

We went to see a car parts shop behind the Priest’s home we stayed in for 3 different times. I said I would like to renew the acquaintance again so we rattled the gate and both Roman, the priest and his wife were home. Well you would have thought we were family. Hugs and kisses and coffee and cake.

Sad to say the conversation was mainly about a “sister” who we will refrain from naming, who was once a great help to us in finding needy families and orphanages, but has gone absolutely “rabid” Charismatic.

She comes and visits the priest and tries to convert him (which is not a bad idea!) but dances before them and even brought their pastor who tried to anoint him with the Holy Spirit.

These antics, along with pleas for funds because they are so poor, has really hindered any appreciation of so called evangelicals.

Well we were able to convince him that we would have none of that nonsense and I was able to witness to him the SIMPLE gospel without all the other “add-ons”.

We were pleaded with to come and stay with them again sometime, but that will not be necessary now.

We did some shopping and went home to a late supper at Vadym’s and then went to visit a sister, Marie, who comes to every meeting. She has a husband who had a stroke 18 years ago and cannot leave the one room apartment on the 9th floor of a former student dormitory. They share cooking and toilets with several other families. It’s worse than our prisons!

On previous occasions, we have not had opportunity to share the gospel, but this time I was determined to do so. He couldn’t have been nicer, he listened intently. Marie said that she was able to read the bible to him last night. I really pray this man will get saved.

I forgot to mention that having rushed over there from our full chicken supper, Marie had a table full of food too! We were not able to do much with it but tried to sample a little of each item.

All for now, heading out to a new town and home for mentally handicapped.

God bless and keep praying.

Malcolm

No comments: