Sunday, February 8, 2015

Second Half of January 2015 from Dan Perez



Second half of Jan 2015 From Dan Perez.

Ukraine is still in the holiday season and the meetings have been falling either on the day before or on the day of celebration thus causing the meetings to be lighter than usual and the streets bare of cars and people. Haven’t had much snow this winter season and has been warmer than normal, a light jacket can do on some of the days.

 I saw my first procession from the new apartment’s front balcony. I could see the camera crews and photographers trying to catch up to the marchers but I had the best view out on the balcony. There was a brass band first and a long line of people waving flags then 20 minutes later another long line of men in their military fatigues marching and repeating some slogan. One of them, I think was, “Glory to Ukraine”. They started from the government building that is called The White House which is about a half block away on our street. Not too sure what it was for but think it had something to do with Ukrainian history and unity.

I met with a man who invited me to his restaurant just outside of town. He shared with me his desire to open a rehabilitation center for alcoholics, he once was an alcoholic and found help at AA and would like to help others with this problem. He has now become a business man and is doing well. He also shared with me his testimony as to how he came to know the Lord but he still keeps some of the icons and traditions of the Orthodox religion. Before we had our lunch we met with the Mayor and while in his office he showed me a hand full of government lists of men they are calling up. That means they are being drafted into the armed forces to fight in the East. The Mayor said last week twice as many were called up, he was sad about this.
 They took me then to a place where they would like to have a rehab center. Under communism this area was used to build short rang missiles, then collective farming, then a fabric manufacturing and now vacant and deserted for more than 20 years. They are hoping that this area can still be used for something useful. We then had a good lunch and talked a small bit about the gospel.

Visited a school in a town called Petriliv, where I spoke with the students then had lunch with the principal. I was able to bring some things that we bought while Malcolm and Howard were here; she needed to finish installing a shower that they are adding to the school. The principal told me that the government will be using their school to send students from the east there for the summer. She said that the government chose their school because it was well kept and said this was only possible because of the help they been receiving from us and was very thankful!
 She told me of a family from the east that is living in the village that has medical needs and ask if we can help. I also met with the Mayor who wanted me to visit a man in his late twenties that had a swimming accident a few years ago and is now paralyzed from the neck down. We visited the family together and they asked me if I can buy some straps for the man to lift himself from time to time. I left the family new testaments and encourage them to seek for God’s salvation.

Had my second distribution in Ivano; we prepared boxes last week having two of the girls helping. We came to the place two hours early to set up and finished ½ an hour before opening the doors. I was able to find ten people to help and we were now ready but there was only one problem, too many people were pushing up against the door and we could not open it.
 I had put signs up saying to respect one another and told them there were enough for everyone. It took some time before things settled down but after that it went very smoothly. Many did ask about food, but we had none and shoes which we had a few. Some showed real appreciation for what we are doing; one lady kissed me on the cheek and thanked me. Others did not understand why we were doing this but saw that we cared for the people and were thankful for that! I also was very thankful for those who came to help; they did a great job in helping the people!

I would like to thank all of you who have helped with funding and merchandise to keep this work ongoing for the Lord and for all the prayer support that is desperately needed, Thank You!!

I am now in Moldova for the 90 days I must be out of Ukraine, please continued to pray!

In Christ our Lord!
Dan.


No comments: