Friday, May 31, 2013

Dan's Report No 6

Dan’s Report #6

Thursday the 23rd the of May

Sorted some of the boxes before our meeting. Then got ready for the new Thursday meet, did not think anyone would show since it has been raining all day but seven in total were at the meeting. It was good to see Igor out; he works at the prison and was one of the men that came with us as we visited each of the prisons. He has been coming since we started these new Thursday meetings and seem to still show some interest. This time God’s Holiness was our topic. Thought it a little harder to discuss than last week’s topic of Love but all listened well and had a good time.
Saturday)   Cloudy and raining for five days now, each time the rain stops and the sun comes out for ten or twenty minutes then it starts all over again, and in the evening the weather drops about 20 of 30 degrees.
This morning I talked to Taras who works at the government building. He invited me to the opening of a new bike path in Ivano. There were a couple of camera crews and reporters interviewing Taras, as he was in charge of this event. About a hundred or so bikers came out to the opening. Taras said that if I wanted to ride with them he would find a bike for me to ride, though very tempted I decided not to go and said maybe when I get my own bike. After the interview all the bikers went for their first ride on the path as Taras lead the group. This reminded me of some of the biking events back in Chicago.
I then went to visit Oleg at his shop and had a good long take about the language, business and the churches in Ukraine. I look at these times spent with Oleg as part of my Ukrainian lesson and a big part of Christian fellowship! As I was heading home from Oleg’s shop Taras called and ask if I wanted to see his new apartment that he is remodeling. We met in the center of town and he had an extra bike with him so we rode to his apartment. We rode over two bridges and when we got to his place we had to carry our bikes up to the eighth floor, the building is still new and the elevators and not working yet.
In Ukraine the owners fix their own condos. All they start with are concrete walls, floors and ceilings; everything else the owner does either by hiring someone or doing it themselves and Taras is doing it on his own. He said it will take about a year before him, his wife and little boy can move in.
Sunday)   Another cloudy and raining day. I still went out for a walk and practiced some of my Ukrainian by using memory cards. There was an area where about 25 or 30 police officers were patrolling. Every block had about 5 of 6 officers on each corner. Today was some kind of national holiday and along came the Red Party, which is the communist party. West Ukraine has always been anti-communist but that does not stop them from trying to gain supporter even in Ivano.
On my way back to the apartment I saw one of the neighbors; he is a Russian man and asked me once for a bible in Russian. I could not remember if I ever gave him one so I asked, he said he did get one and I think he said he gave it to his son. During our talk the IPhone dictionary was a big help in communicating with him.
We then had our meeting and one lady who I haven’t seen in a long time came one hour earlier thinking it started at 4 as in times past but she came back at the start of the meeting. Another lady came just before the meeting was over at 6 thinking it was a weekday. At the meeting Yaroslav and I spoke, I thought that Yaroslav had a good message as he talked about the Word of God.
Eric and Margaret Fowler will be arriving in Ukraine later this week, please pray for their safety and blessings while in Ukraine! Thank You!
In Christ our Lord
Dan

No comments: