Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring 2013 - Report #10

Report #10.
Monday 22nd
This letter is being written on the train from Lviv to Simferopol. The train does not go to Sevastopol but is about 1 ½ hours From Simferopol. The reason for coming here is that a young man Vitali, who was in the Christian school in Tyumen in Siberia, is saved and live in Sevastopol. His daughter is in the Christian school in that city and he wants me to visit them in the school and to speak to the students and the staff. Also the school needs some help as they have only been open for 2 years, and as I had a similar school for almost 30 years, maybe I can help. The Principal has invited me, all expenses paid.
I am very comfortable in my own compartment and it takes 24 hours to get there so should have no problem sleeping. I woke at about 5am and could not sleep any more. There was a stretch of rail that must have been like the road to Ivano as the carriage rocked and banged for a couple of hours. The last part to Simferopol was as smith as silk.
Tuesday 23rd.
I got up and washed in my apartment and was dressed and ready at about 7am. I went and ordered a coffee and the lady “commandant” of the carriage brought it for me. I gave her a tip and she seemed thrilled.
Vitali phoned at 9am and said he was at the station and the train pulled in at 15 minutes after 9. It took us 1 ½ hours to get to the school in Sevastopol. It was a nice ride through hilly country. We went straight to the school and were introduced to the 9 staff of ladies. They have 32 students who seem to be very happy with the school. I did a walk through and then spoke to the kids and then had an hour and a half with the staff. They thought it was very profitable.
I’m home with Vitali and his wife Sasha and 3 lovely children. We spent the evening looking at pictures and getting a acquainted. They are a lovely Christian family.
So much for the day, will be back on the train at 12:15am. Tomorrow.
Wednesday 24th
Well I had a good night’s sleep, I only woke once when I hear some drunks singing somewhere. They didn’t sing long but they were loud. Vitali and Sasha have an old refurbished apartment in a “gated” block with automatic iron gates. Sasha is very sweet and a great mother and a super cook. They are very health conscious and eat mostly organic foods but very well prepared. We had a salmon steak for supper. We were up for breakfast at 7am. The first time I have eaten millet serial! A little bit grainy. As I was not to leave until 12:15pm, we went for a tour of the bay and saw some of the Russian war- ships docked there. We also saw some Russian sailors in town. Vitali says they are no problem in the city.
 Sevastopol is an absolutely lovely city. Clean and spacious with beautiful gardens, still not in full bloom but blooming. Massive fountains going to music and tourists everywhere in little groups with an interpreter. We were going to go on a tour of the bay on a boat but found out that it would take too much time, as it was 1 ½ hours back to the train. It was a good thing we did not stay longer, as we got stopped for speeding in a little town and they took about 20 minutes to do the paperwork. It cost him $30. Then we got into Simferopol and the police had a diversion for some reason and we had to go right through the old part of town. We got to the station at 11:55 and went to McDonald’s right at the station for a coffee and muffin to have on the train. I got on the train with 5 minutes to spare. Scary or what.
I have a man in my apartment with me who was not going all the way but over half way, I think. He is very nice and had his lunch of smoked pork, bread and spring onion tips. He was determined that I share his pork and greens. I did, to make him happy and it was good, along with my berry muffin!!
I had to charge my computer and was able to do it on the train. While it was charging I started to communicate with the man whose name is Yaroslav. I found out he is a retired military helicopter pilot. We managed to get a lot of things communicated but he does not speak a word of English. Then another man came in who had obviously had some drink at some time but was very friendly, however he got frustrated at not being able to ask the right questions so phoned his wife, who happens to be and English teacher. He gave me the phone and we talked for about 5 minutes and she then told him what we talked about. Talk about confusing.
The sun is about down and it is almost 8 pm. I don’t feel tired yet but will hang on as long as possible. Still have 16 hours left ! I slept well until 6am when the train stopped at a station. Washed and ate breakfast of crackers and cheese at 7am. A bright sunny morning. We just stopped at a city where Hitler had an underground bunker. Yaroslav said Hitler came there several times.
We arrived in at exactly the right time. Ruslan and Howard were at the train station to meet me; then we went straight to the airport to pick up Dan who was just walking through the door when we got there.
We went to have a little lunch and then gave some funds for the doctor at Strei whose wife has just had open heart surgery in Lviv. She is still in recovery but is very weak. Please remember Maria in your prayers.
More than enough for this epistle.  Malcolm, Howard & Dan

No comments: